Friday 11 September 2009

I'm Not A Number - I'm A Free Man With Internet Access!

06:21 AM

When I was a kid back in the late 1960s I fell in love with a UK TV series called The Prisoner. It was filmed in a unique Welsh village called Portmeirion, which was designed and constructed by a guy called Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975.

It's a wonderful place, incorporating fragments of demolished buildings, including works by a number of other architects. Portmeirion has been noted as an influence on the development of Postmodern architecture in the late twentieth century.

I spent much of yesterday wandering through the place with my sister and brother-in-law, and all kinds of vague memories from the TV series kept trying to surface. Through the wonders of You Tube I was able to refresh my memory when we got back to the converted chapel in which we're staying (many thanks to Alex Keegan for that).



I love the fact that the technology now exists to make these exotic trips down memory lane so much easier.



2 comments:

  1. Technology is the time-travel we all dreamed of in the fifties. Now we CAN go back - and tread on lots of butterfiles of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Portmeirion. It reminds me of holidays with my parents from the age of about 9 to 16. I have a photo of me with very short hair, a pair of navy shorts and a very seventies colourful stripy top.... taken at Portmeiron, and some lovely ones of my maternal grandparents, mum and dad.

    ReplyDelete