Friday 14 August 2009

Shakespeare in the Post Office

It's 11.00 am. I've walked the dog, bought The Daily Mirror for the elderly couple who live next door (see what a kind person I am?) and am now back in my cabin, about to carry on with today's work.

But first, a quick Blog entry.

Shirley - the woman who runs the local Post Office - makes me grin. I've known her for years, got her into computer stuff, and I do my bit to help keep her struggling business afloat. Papers, milk, the odd bottle of wine... she could retire on what I spend in her shop.

Anyway, when I turned up this morning there were two elderly women cackling away to each other and blocking the narrow passage that leads to the counter. I eased past them and paid for my paper. Shirley eyed the women, shook her head, and said: 'It's like bloody Macbeth in here sometimes... hubble, bubble, toil and trouble.'

I reminded her that there were three witches, not two - so she must be the third.

She said I was a bastard.

Came home to an interesting email concerning potential writing work. A guy in Scotland who runs ghost walks and torture tours (!) wants someone to write approx thirty scripts for his tour guides to deliver. Could be fun. I shall spend part of today looking at the info he sent and working out how long it will take to write each script. Then if we can agree a rate for the job...

We shall see.

1.24 pm - Rose just discovered a Privet Hawk Moth Caterpillar in the garden. Huge thing. No doubt there will be photographs to follow!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the commission, John. Don't undersell yourself. I'm sure you'll be injecting some Ravenscroft humour into those scripts somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world. I look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the post office in Freiston. I went in there once on the way to pick up my son from school and would have gotten less strange looks if I had flown up in a spaceship! But then, it took almost a year before Margaret at our local post office would do more than grunt at me when I told her to have a nice day...

    I look forward to pictures of this caterpillar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrong post office, Pixie. Our nearest is at Butterwick.

    Couple of questions about this blogging thing:

    1. do you get an email when I make a new post?
    2. can you see the caterpillar pics on my wife's Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha - "you're a bastard." That's too funny.

    I think that would be quite an interesting challenge, to write those scripts. Something a bit different, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John, I saw the caterpillar. BIG! Reminds me of the enormous slugs they have in the Pacific N.W. here in the states. Blog on, my friend! You're sounding like a pro. (oh, that's right...you are!)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete