Thursday 13 August 2009

What's it All About?














So, I've decided to start blogging.

Between December 1943 and April 1947, George Orwell wrote a series of columns for Tribune entitled 'As I Please' in which he rattled on about whatever happened to be on his mind that day. I'm no George Orwell, but that pretty much sums up what I intend to do in this blog - so I've stolen old George's title. I'm sure he wouldn't object.

Orwell wrote his columns for money. Why am I writing mine?

Couple of reasons, I guess. The main one stems from the fact that I've recently begun to structure my life in a more sensible fashion. More about that in future posts, I expect. Anyway, as part of that re-structuring, I want to force myself to produce some personal writing on a daily basis. I suppose I could just write a private journal, but I've done that in the past and I never keep it up. Seems I need an audience.

Which brings me to the second reason: the possibility of feedback.

Assuming I get some, I think I'd quite enjoy discussing the contents of my noggin with one or two fellow human beings. Might even make a few new friends.

So - noggin content number one: Cole Porter.

As you can see from my profile pic, I'm a guitarist. Yesterday I recorded a version of Porter's 'Just One of Those Things'. It's on YouTube here.

I'd like to record a few more of the master's compositions. Any suggestions for songs I might try?

Noggin content number two: A Room of One's Own.

In April 2008 my brother came for an extended visit and between us we built a large log cabin in the garden. It's where I spend most of my time now - and I wish I'd built one back in 1984 when Rose and I first moved to Lincolnshire. I hadn't realized how much having my own separate space, a place where I can shut out the rest of the world and concentrate on what I want to do, would improve my life.

If you're self-employed, or if you just need some time for yourself, do you have a place to work from? A place to go?

Let me know.

John

4 comments:

  1. Yay, John! Welcome to the blogging world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya John,

    Welcome to the blogging world! I love your cabin and now that he has seen it, Kevin wants one! We certainly have room for one out back, but I want it for my studio and he just wants it as a place to escape me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -- I'm a friend of Hope's from North Carolina. She pointed me your way. Last year I built (or had someone build) a "shed-office" in my backyard. I originally just needed some space and some quiet for my home office, but it is truly a a sanctuary for me. We went off a basic shed plan and added some cute windows, paint, electric, air conditioning (it is hot here) and a space heater. Now my husband wants one too! LOL...
    I recently reread Animal Farm with my 12 year old son -- so the Orwell theme sparked my interest. Best of luck in the Blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi folks.

    Thanks for responding so quickly to my first post. I think I might enjoy this Blogging business!

    Pixie & KAS - yes, the 'shed-office' thing grows on you, doesn't it? I love it with a love that's almost indecent.

    ReplyDelete