Saturday 15 August 2009

Sheds, Sheds, Glorious Sheds...

Early morning rambling...

A writer friend of mine - the lovely Merc - just directed me towards Shedworking.

It's a website entirely devoted to strange people like me who work in garden sheds. I have a feeling I'm going to feel very much at home there. So thanks, Merc.

8.15 a.m.

Exercise

As I said in my first post on this blog, I'm currently doing a bit of life re-structure work. (If you'd read that sentence to me a few years ago, I'd have laughed at you. 'Life re-structure work? What the hell is that supposed to mean?)

In my case it means lots of things, and I'll be rattling on about some of them in future posts. But right now I want to say a few words about just one aspect. Exercise.

I've never, ever enjoyed exercise. I did as little as possible as a kid, and it was only poverty that kept me skinny. You can't get fat when all you have to eat is cardboard and a bit of dust. But the years have rolled on, and much to my surprise I've started putting on weight. When I bend to tie my shoelaces, I have to fight against a cushion of belly-fat that never used to be there. I don't like that. Nor do I like the fact that walking the dog is more of an effort these days. I'm fortunate to be living in Lincolnshire, 'cos it's flat as the proverbial pancake. Not a hill in sight. If we still lived in hilly Derbyshire, my dog-walking would have killed me years ago.

So, on the 8th of August - just one week ago - I told myself I was going to start early-morning exercises. Nothing too major. Get out of bed and do as many sit-ups as possible. Then do as many push-ups as possible. Then chin the bar as many times as possible.

And keep records.

The results, though pretty pathetic compared to someone who really is fit, are amazing.


Date SU PU BAR
08-Aug-2009 13 20 1
09-Aug-2009 16 26 1
10-Aug-2009 18 31 1
11-Aug-2009 18 35 1.5
12-Aug-2009 18 36 2
13-Aug-2009 20 37 2
14-Aug-2009 21 39 2
15-Aug-2009 22 42 2





In just a few days I've nearly doubled the number of sit-ups I can do. I've more than doubled the number of push-ups! The bar-work is still crappy, but at least I'm heading in the right direction.

What's more, my energy levels are improving. All good stuff.

So, tell me to carry on. Prod me now and then. Keep me going.

And if you don't exercise yourself, give it a try. It's a drag, but the effort really does pay off.

3 comments:

  1. No worries, JR. Now when ya gonna twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked at twitter, Merc, but don't yet feel the need for it. D'you find it useful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a bit of getting used to. I'm selective about who I follow - ranging from newspapers to publishers, authors, FB mates - and who I let follow me - keep getting these strippers who think I'm a man - but you can block people you don't want. Interesting is that some people follow who you'd never have thought would. My tweets range from gut reactions to considered blurts. The discipline of shortness is good. It can be a good tool for Chinese or other-type whispers. To be given and taken with grains of salt, though. Good stuff on the xercise. I'm hoping to get back to my 10km walks.

    ReplyDelete